Thursday, February 20, 2014

My Pregnancy Essentials: {The Good, The Bad, and The Want}

This is not going to be a picture post, but I will have links when available.

Also, as a fun side note, I just want it known that I'm doing the final editing of this on the floor of my living room. The lights are out, I have to stop typing every 15 seconds so that David doesn't wake up in the pack n play next to me, and Jillian is in her big girl bed napping. Oh the things we mothers do for a little me time ;)

Having been pregnant twice now, I definitely have my fair share of opinions on pregnancy products. Now, I'm just giving me personal opinion, and I figured if we ever do have more babies, this would be a good place to remember things.


The Good
Good Maternity Pants - I bought 2 pairs from Kohl's when I was pregnant with Jillian. They were cargo styled pants, which were great for being pregnant in the summer. They were very comfortable, and I'd buy more in a heartbeat! I also purchased maternity leggings from Old Navy for my pregnancy with David. My old issue was having to make sure my shirts were long enough to cover my belly when I wore them. However, they are super comfy, and I'm still wearing them now ;)

Maternity Underwear - The thought of needing these was just outrageous to me the first time I was pregnant. However, something with my second pregnancy made me interested in trying them out. My mom found some for my second pregnancy at Babies R Us actually. They were amazingly comfortable, and will definitely be buying more if I have another pregnancy.

Compression Socks/Stockings - I bought these at Walgreens after delivering Jillian because I had some major swelling. However, I didn't use it as much post-delivery with David. I did use them on a long road trip during my 2nd pregnancy, and they definitely helped.

Comfy Sleepwear (for if you're hot or cold) - I was hot natured the first time I was pregnant, then cold natured the second, so my preferred pjs are varied. My pjs are from several different places, so I just recommend finding whatever makes you comfiest. Even if you just want some new pajama pants? I say go find you some! You're going to be uncomfortable for 9 months. Find something that makes you comfy!

Body Pillow - For my first pregnancy, I had what I deemed the "kidney pillow" because that's what it looked like to me. I used that, a basic body pillow from Target, and about 4 other regular pillows when I was pregnant with Jillian. I bought a new pillow for my pregnancy with David because I felt like I wanted a single pillow instead of several. {Plus, my original body pillow met its demise during our move to the house in 2012.} Trust me when I say, a good pillow can make all the difference.

Nivea Cream - I grew up with my mom using this brand, and I bought it because my hands were getting super dry at night. Not only does it really help, but it doesn't have a strong/girly scent so Phil can use it too! It is a heavier cream than normal lotion, which makes it a little greasier once it's on your hands. It really is a life-saver if your hands get extremely dry.

Gummy Fiber Chews - I was having some *ahem* issues in the first half of my pregnancy. I tried all kinds of things, including some prune juice. While the juice was a little helpful, it just tasted awful. My nurse told me about gummies I could take, and I was sold! They did help me, so I took them up until the day I delivered! They were yummy flavors, and easy for me to swallow despite my nausea. The best part about buying the Walgreens brand? They usually had a buy one, get one half off sale a few times :)

Walgreens Brand Prenatal Vitamins - I don't know about you, but I'm extra sensitive to fishy taste. I tried a few different prenatal vitamins before I settled on the Walgreens brand. I keep the bottles refrigerated, and I can count on one hand how many times between my two pregnancies that I experienced the dreaded fishy burps.

Tums - I was lucky to not have heartburn constantly with either pregnancy. However, when I did get it, it was awful! I refuse to eat the cherry flavored ones, but other than that, Tums was my go-to relief!

Zofran - My morning sickness was always pretty severe with both pregnancies. I was lucky that my dose was cut in half, and I didn't have to take it every single day with my pregnancy with David. However, since history does repeat itself, I know I will be in need of this if I am every pregnant again.

A Water Cup - It is important to stay hydrated, especially if you're having a hard time eating. It was easier for me to have a particular water cup, that I knew if I drank from it 3 times a day, I would meet the requirements for water consumption. This way, I would get the bare minimum, and everything else was extra. Usually, I would have a goal of 1 before noon, 1 before 5 pm, then 1 before I went to bed.

Diluted Grape Juice - I lived on half water half white grape juice from April to July of 2013. I don't remember where I read it, but it said it would be easier on my stomach, and boy were they right! It tasted better than just water, and was much gentler to my system.

Herbal Tea - I'll admit that I mostly did this for my pregnancy with David. I drank peppermint tea if I was feel nauseated before bedtime, and it usually helped. I also had Sleepy Time tea for the nights I was having trouble sleeping. {Sleepy Time Tea + a warm bubble bath = drowsy pregnant lady} I know for a fact these teas were safe to consume, so I had no worries about that.

Pregnancy Books - Some of my favorites are: What to Expect When You're Expecting, Your Pregnancy Week by Week, Your Pregnancy and Childbirth Month to Month, and A Child is Born (which is actually my mother's copy!). All of them have good information, and it was fun to read everything to Phil when I turned a new month ;) Even with my second pregnancy, you forget some of the things that happen in between the big stuff.

Pregnancy Apps - I had What to Expect, The Bump, and Sprout. They were all very informative, and I liked certain things about each. If they could be combined into one app, that would be perfect!

A Project To Do - I always felt better if I had something to work on while I was pregnant. It's hard for me to just sit around and wait, so these projects kept my mind busy. I usually do a cross-stitch project, and usually something around the house that requires organization. Whatever you can physically do, or a project you want done before baby arrives with you husband's/partner's help, can be a welcome distraction when you still have several weeks to go.

A Journal - I blog, but some people like to use physical journals. Either way, I promise you won't regret writing things down. It's fun for me to go back and remember how I felt, how baby was doing, things I craved, etc. Hopefully my kids will enjoy these too someday :)

A Camera - I took weekly bump pictures on top of other things I felt were important things during my pregnancies. Whether it's a cell phone or a nice camera, it's worth the effort!


The Bad
Maternity Jeans - I'll admit that most of my maternity jean shopping was done online. {This is partially due to the fact that only high-end stores have maternity sections where I can try them on in person. Don't ask me why this is because I have no clue} They would always fit just well enough that I couldn't justify returning them. Plus, I know that I wear two different sized because of how my body is shaped. I'd like to find and possibly tailor a pair if I get pregnant again, but we'll just see.

Ginger Chews - These were disgusting!! In an effort to help ease my sickness, Phil and I tried all sorts of things. These were by far the worst thing we tried. I barely sunk my teeth in when I gagged and immediately spit it back out. I like ginger-y things to a point, but this was just awful. If it works for you, more power to ya.

Sea-Bands - I know these work for some people, but they just honestly didn't work for me whatsoever.

Preggie Pops - Yet another attempt at easing all-day morning sickness. These were basically just hard candies for me. It didn't ease any of my nausea.

Prune Juice - As I mentioned above, I was trying to ease some uncomfortable feelings. I tried this particular one, and it took a lot of effort for me to get the full cup down my throat. It did help a bit, but it wasn't worth it for me.

The Forums on Pregnancy Apps - Honestly, just ignore the forum part of the app. People are super mean, rude, and sometimes a little... well, stupid to be blunt. And really, if you have a question, asking your mother, mother-in-law, friends, people at church, or even a random pregnant woman in the middle of the store will get you better advice and answers than these people will provide. Plus, there is always an issue with trolls. Just say no.


The Want
New Pillow - The pillow I have currently is pretty worn out. It might last another pregnancy, but I would be interested in a new one.

New Pregnancy Tops - I got several from Old Navy that have been really great. I love the length, and the material is super comfy. However, since I practically lived in them for two pregnancies, I could stand to get a few news ones. I would definitely buy similar ones to what I already own.

New Pregnancy Bras - Even though I can't nurse for very long, pregnancy bras are just more comfortable during and after pregnancy. The two I currently have are from Target. I would love at least two, if not more.

A Nanny for my other kids ;) - I kid, I kid. I just know that having morning sickness with two kids running around is going to be tough. Thankfully, I have a super awesome husband who is practically Superman, and loves me enough to help out :)

An At-Home Doppler - I mostly likely won't purchase/rent this, but it would be nice to have. I just get so worked up in-between appointments, and I know it would be great for peace of mind.


What about you? Did you have anything you loved? Disliked? Want/Would have liked?

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...