Sunday, January 13, 2013

2013 Word and Verse

As I have done before, I have taken some time to think about how I want to approach the year. In years past, I have chosen words like "obey" and "know". This year, I'm going a slightly different direction.

"Clothe" will be the word I want to exemplify as much as I can for the year. It seems like a strange word, but it makes more sense with the verse I have to go with it:

"So, chosen by God in this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it." Colossians 3:12-14 MSG {via}

This verse really stuck out to me months ago and I can't seem to get it out of my head. It is bookmarked on my Bible app too. I reread it a few times and felt this is what needed to be my drive for the year. Plus, I'm starting to get an idea of what my style is and how I want to dress. {Late bloomer say what?!} I loved how it said "regardless of what else you put on, wear love". It is so easy to get caught up with the latest fashion trends or the kind of life/style/house/body you want. However, the most important thing to get caught up in is love. Showing love to others whether they deserve it or not. Treating people lovingly by not judging them or hurting their feelings purposefully.

Now, I'm not saying it's going to be easy. "Even-tempered" and "content with second place" are two of my few many flaws. I do feel like God led me to this particular passage because I need to work on it. I mean, if I was good at it, I wouldn't really be a human being. {AmIright?}

2 comments:

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...