Friday, August 20, 2010

Sittin' On The Porch Drinkin' Ice Cold Cherry-- Coke...


{via}
Happy Friday everyone! Before I do my Friday Five, I want to announce something. No, I'm not pregnant. In fact, I scared my dad when I was telling him this. Sorry daddy-o! HAHA After what happened this past June, being pregnant isn't even on my radar! My body is still healing. Before I tell you, you need to understand something about me.

I am the youngest of two children and the only girl. From the time I was little, I loved attention. Not necessarily from other people, but definitely from my parents and brother. Growing up with my family was always fun. However, during baseball and football season, the attention of my dad and brother was always focused on the TV set. Not just for the game mind you, but for the commentary before AND after about it. I still don't really get this concept. Why not talk to your friends about it and not listen to other people chat together on ESPN. Oh well, I digress. With this stealing my attention from the men in my life, I rebelled the best way I knew how: I complained. I'd complain about the game, I'd complain about them hogging the TV and I would lock myself in my room and sulk for hours on game day. Sounds pleasant right? Again, I was an attention deprived girl. What else could I do? For years and years I hated both sports. I wouldn't even think twice. I'm thankful they didn't like basketball too, I'd NEVER get attention!

In junior high, I was required to have a p.e. credit to move on to high school. Well, I had several other classes I wanted to take instead. Something you could do that counted as a p.e. class is either play a sport or be a sport "manager", aka help out the coach. Well, even though I played volleyball my 9th grade year, I still needed to do something else, (I don't remember why this was, but I had to deal). I opted to be a baseball manager since I like it better than soccer. I would help load equipment for games and keep score. Once I learned more about the game, the more I started to enjoy it. To this day, I still like baseball best when I'm at the game instead of just watching it on TV.

My senior year high school, I dated a guy who played football. Coming from a relatively small town, I assumed we'd probably get married eventually as long as nothing too upsetting came our way. He wanted to be a high school coach once he was out of college. Well, being in the band, I had to go to several games anyways. The few we were not required to go to, I road tripped with a few band girls who also had boyfriends on the team as well and went to the games. I still didn't understand what was going on completely, but I figured I had to learn if I'd end up being a coach's wife. Well, long story short, he tells me that after his birthday in December, we can run off to Arkansas and get married. Umm... no. I was going to college and I wasn't ready to be married just yet. So we broke up. However, after that, I was a little more interested in football than I would ever admit out loud.

Now, to understand this part of the story, you have to understand this fact about me: I NEVER like to do or enjoy things that I'm told to do or enjoy. In fact, I'm in the habit of doing the opposite just to prove you wrong. I don't know why that is, but it's just who I am. In high school, I didn't mind rooting for our team too much, but I hated being forced to love them the most. Same story when I went to TU for college. Why should I like them the best just because I go to school there? I didn't come for the team, I came for the music program and to earn a college degree! Even today, with a husband and MIL who love their alma mater, I can't seem to get too into the games. Sorry...

Well, for the past year or so, I've been keeping this to myself. I am really starting to get into football. HOWEVER, and this is important kids, I have to personally pick the teams I want to root for! Well, with the new season coming up, I decided to finally tell my family about this. My husband laughed and my dad wasn't surprised, (though he laughed mostly from relief I believe). My brother of course, doesn't really care. I mean, he cares about me, but my life choices are my choices. Maybe that's why we get along so well ;)

So here's the announcing part, the two, (yes two), teams that I have chosen to cheer for all season long! I've being doing some research, (I'm still a little nerd even though I like football now =P), and they are in different conferences anyways. I have a preference between the two, but I'll explain that in a moment. The two teams are: the Oklahoma State Cowboys, and the University of Arkansas Razorbacks! Make fun if you want, but I don't care :D

Now, if you've read my long winded about me, you know that I lived in southwest Arkansas for a good portion of my life, (just under half my life now... wow I'm old! HAHA). Well, for whatever reason, I've always had a little more state pride for Arkansas than Oklahoma. Sure I swell up with pride when I hear the song "Oklahoma" by Rodgers and Hammerstein or when I see stories about neighbors helping one another during times of crisis, (aka tornado season). However, having lived in Arkansas most of my early childhood, I've always had a bigger spot in my heart for Arkansas. In fact, I didn't know until I was nearly 8 years old that I was born in Missouri instead of Arkansas! So, obviously, my preference is for the Razorbacks :) I've already learned the fight song and I know the coaches names! If I'm going do something, I do it right ;) Phil is teasing me because I already have sweatshirts, and other "gear" I'm wanting to show my pride. What can I say... I'm still a southern girl! haha

So that's my announcement. Sorry it has such a long back story, but I felt it was important to know why I was "announcing" this :)

For my Friday Five, I'm doing the 5 albums I'm looking the most forward to purchasing soon

1) Maroon 5 - Hands All Over
I've already admitted to my love for all things Maroon 5 and I'm just obsessed with their song "Misery" from this album. It releases September 21st!

2) Sara Bareilles - Kaleidoscope Heart
I only recently purchased the entire Little Voice album, but I just love it! I can't wait to see what gems her sophomore album will bring :) It releases September 7th!

3) Belle & Sebastian - Belle & Sebastian Write About Love
I have several other albums by Belle & Sebastian so I have no doubt this could be an awesome album. It releases October 12th!

4) Sugarland - The Incredible Machine
Sugarland is a great country group. They are definitely an easy listen for anyone who is on the fence about country music. It's like Lady Antebellum, sometimes you forget their a country band :) It releases October 19th!

5) Rascal Flatts - Nothing Like This
I can honestly say this is one of my favorite bands in the world of all time. I can't get enough of these guys!! It releases November 16th! This is a great lead into my....

Music Day 16


Day 01 - Your favorite song

Day 02 - Your least favorite song
Day 03 - A song that makes you happy
Day 04 - A song that makes you sad
Day 05 - A song that reminds you of someone
Day 06 - A song that reminds you of somewhere
Day 07 - A song that you know all the words to
Day 08 - A song that you can dance to
Day 09 - A song that you want to play at your wedding
Day 10 - A song that you want to play at your funeral
Day 11 - A song that makes you think of your best friend
Day 12 - A song that is a guilty pleasure
Day 13 - A song that no one would expect you to love
Day 14 - A song that describes you
Day 15 - A song from your favorite album
Day 16 - A song from your favorite band
Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io
"Mayberry" by Rascal Flatts
Day 17 - A song from a band you can't stand
Day 18 - A song that makes you laugh
Day 19- A song that you wish you could play
Day 20 - A song from your childhood
Day 21- A song with great lyrics
Day 22- A song you love with no lyrics
Day 23 - A song that you can play on an instrument
Day 24 - A song that you could never get tired of
Day 25 - Your favorite song at this time last year

I have been feeling very nostalgic lately. I'm sure part of it is my announcement of being a Razorback fan. It's made me think of my old hometown and how I long for the small town, simple life lifestyle. Though, I know I wouldn't be 100% happy like that. I love this song and how it reflects that yearning for a slower world. A place where everyone is kind to one another and no one is in a hurry for nothing. Plus, I love the Andy Griffith Show references. I used to watch it with my dad all the time growing up :) I love this song, and I hope you do too!

Happy Friday y'all!

Peace to you,
"Mayberry" by Rascal Flatts

3 comments:

  1. Nenay!
    Thanks for coming over to The Park Wife! We have a lot in common, not just the Arkansas connection either. My life is a mix between Mayberry and Gilmore girls. I love that Friday nights in the South are ruled by football (it is too hot here right now though). Oh, and I love Rascal Flatts.

    Keep in touch!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oklahoma State all the way!!!! Whooooo hooooo! GO POKES! You made a very wise decision! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Completely agree with the commentary part...so silly.
    2. I DEFINITELY approve of OSU as your team choice. Go Pokes!
    3. Hope you're doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...