Tuesday, December 14, 2010

You've Got Garlic In Your Soul...


{via}


I've been dreading this post, hoping the subject would clear itself up. Unfortunately, nothing has changed...


Folks, it is now December 14th, around 1:20 p.m. in the afternoon. And I, Courtney, am not in a Christmas mood.

Let's clear a few things up. I usually love Christmas. It's not my favorite holiday, but I enjoy it every year. I usually look forward to the tree, the gift shopping/giving, cookie baking, holiday movie extravaganza that happens from December 1st until the day after Christmas. Phil and I even decorated the apartment for the holidays much earlier than usual, (we wait until December 8th so my dad's birthday is not overlooked).

For whatever reason... I'm just not feelin' it.

I avoid the all-Christmas-music stations. The holiday movies do not have the super warm-fuzzy-feeling effect they usually do. I even opted out of driving through some Christmas lights the other day because it was "too cold" outside. The thought of dealing with the general public makes me uneasy. I hate driving anywhere near the mall. I hate running errands, even Target runs! *gasp* It's almost like it's a chore to get through the next 12 days*.

*P.S. I had a girl at my final say that yesterday, December 13th, was the start of the 12 days of Christmas. Um... no it is not. The 12 days of Christmas starts on Christmas Day and goes until Epiphany, when the wise men made it to baby Jesus. I actually talked about this earlier in the year. It just bothered me and I didn't want to be the weird, know-it-all girl in class and kept my mouth shut.

Could it be that I'm finishing up school and just have too much on my plate? Am I scrooge this year? Am I Mrs. Grinch?

I am excited about giving my gifts. I can't wait to see people's faces when they open them :D I am excited about going to Minnesota, spending time with my folks and having a white Christmas. I am excited about seeing my in-laws and spending time with them. I'm even excited about the Christmas Eve service we'll go to.

Do you ever have years like that? Years that Christmas just isn't that exciting? Am I alone? Will my "Christmas spirit" appear out of nowhere and I'll be just like everyone else?

Peace to you,

2 comments:

  1. I felt a LOT like that last year, and I'm still not 100% "in the spirit" I guess you could say... But I have so much to be thankful for this year, and it's been a way better year than 2009, so I feel happier this Christmas. I'm sure it'll come upon you once your finals are all done & your parents are there.

    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally not in the spirit nearly as much this year as usual and it is my favorite holiday. i think for me its just because we have so much going on, it just doesn't even feel like Christmas at all. we haven't bought one single gift! gasp! :( hope the spirit returns for you!!

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...