Friday, July 3, 2015

New Recipes FTW {Sushi Salad}

This recipe may not be for everyone, but it is one I have now made twice this month. Each time, I've really enjoyed it!

I love sushi, and this is really similar to if you got a sushi roll and it just fell apart. {I know I made that sound so appetizing, but bear with me here!}

A few years ago, I watched Hungry for Change, and then went to the Food Matters website. From there I got a juicer for my birthday, and a cookbook from Food Matters. Not all the recipes have been a big win for me, but this is definitely a win!

I did not take pictures of this dish when I made it. For a picture of this recipe, look here at their Facebook page.

Both times I did some similar alterations to the recipe. I will write those changes or notes in italics when necessary.

Sushi Salad

Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado, chopped
2 small cucumbers, halved and chopped (I use one regular cucumber, and I deseed it)
1 unroasted nor sheet, cut roughly with scissors into bite size strips (I could only find roasted at the time, and it's been ok. Also scissors are much better to get this into bite size strips!)
A handful of your favorite sprouts like alfalfa, watercress, or sunflower (Watercress has been my sprout of choice)
1 carrot, shredded finely with a mandolin (I use my grater)
1 TBSP naturally fermented tamari or shoyu (Tamari is what I use)
1 TBSP sesame seeds
2 tsp no MSG fish sauce
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger

Method:

1. In a pan, dry-fry the sesame seeds, stirring constantly, until they are just slightly golden. Remove from heat.

2. Juice ginger by squeezing between your fingers, and discard pulp. (Note: I actually just grate the ginger into the salad and keep the pulp. It's been good to me) Mix all other ingredients in a bowl.

3. Adjust seasoning to taste (more tamari or fish sauce if needed). Sprinkle the toasted seeds over the salad.

Serves 1-2.

Again, I know this won't be for everyone, but I certainly enjoy it! Give it a try :)


.......
I feel like I have to add a few points of information...

1) I do not consider myself crunchy. I might be slightly chewy, but definitely not crunchy. If something is good for me, I will try it once. I try to implement certain things/foods/habits in my life if I think it is truly beneficial for me. Before I do anything, I usually research. A lot.

2) I am not on a specific diet. No, I take that back. I'm on a human-omnivore diet. It's not specifically Paleo, clean, vegetarian, low-carb, low-fat, etc. Again, I research lots of stuff, and what I have started doing this past month or so is try and really do right by my body. I'm also not going full-throttle on a particular diet because it's unrealistic for me. If I were to completely cut out processed foods, or extra sugar, or carbs, or fat, or anything, I would not be able to do certain things. I don't expect my entire family, (immediate-extended-church), to completely change what they serve. For example, if I were to go to a child's birthday party after I've cut out all carbs and extra sugar, I would not be able to eat even a small slice of cake without my digestive tract giving me pure hell later. I'm sorry, but that's not how I want to live my life. I want to do right by my body 80% of the time, and give myself a break the other 20%. You may disagree, and that is perfectly fine. Unless you're willing to come cook and prep for me and my family, I'll be making the decisions :)

3) In the summertime, I usually lose my appetite to a degree. If I had to cook 3 warm meals a day in the Oklahoma heat, I usually just make whatever someone else wants and just snack. I can't cook like that when it's 95+ degrees outside with a 30% humidity going on. This recipe will last me for two lunches. I usually eat something with it like fruit. Otherwise, this alone will fill me up pretty nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...