Friday, November 9, 2012

Answers in the Nick of Time

I'm not sure if you remember, but I mentioned wanting to do a "Day in the Life of Jillian" post last week. I started snapping photos of her, but got sidetracked by the time Phil got home. I did get a few cute photos from early in the day though!
{Jillian's morning consists of lots of reading/crawling around, then a nice nap with her tush in the air ;)}

{In the afternoon, she helped me with laundry and putting away our Halloween decorations.}

Then Jillian's fever hit after a busybusybusy weekend. Even in two of these photos, you can tell Jillian isn't feeling well :(
{From left to right, then down: Sunday morning and looking so big! / Too busy to sit still for mama / Chewing on the headband while mama and daddy watch election results Fever's gone, but still feeling not quite ourself (though looking cute with our huge hair bow!)}

As I said yesterday, Jillian's fever went away early Wednesday, but she acted lethargic and not herself. She barely spoke which is very much out of character for her. Then Thursday, this mysterious rash popped up. It didn't seem to bother her any more than anything else because she was just flat out uncomfortable. The nurse I spoke with on the phone yesterday told me to keep an eye on it and call if it got worse, she got another temperature, or if something changed. Jillian spent most of the day refusing liquids and sleeping on me off and on.
{The awful rash} 

{Cuddling with mama for comfort}

Jillian did sleep well overnight, but that rash is still there. Phil called the doctor's office and it seemed to be really busy. In fact, Phil was getting the impression that the nurse was encouraging us to just wait it out. After being sick for nearly a week, and the fact that Jillian seemed so miserable, I pushed Phil to go ahead and make the appointment. {I have a feeling he would have made one anyways just for peace of mind for the weekend.}

We got to see Jillian's doctor this morning and finally found out what's been ailing our poor baby girl. Turns out the rash is just a viral rash that can come up after an illness. It isn't harmful, not contagious, and will go away on it's own. However, due to whatever she was fighting off before, Jillian does have an ear infection in her right ear. Her very first ear infection in fact. This explains why she's been acting so differently. Also, because it's her bad ear, she could still hear us with her left/good ear and had no issues. She also never pulled on it or cried more when we laid her down. Maybe it has something to do with the nerves in her bad ear not being as sensitive as her left. We were given an antibiotic prescription and told to call if she's not better in 72 hours.

I picked up her medicine and had a big "uh oh!" moment. I was trying to measure it out, but couldn't quite see where the medicine was in the syringe. I tried emptying it and filling it so many times, the syringe broke into two pieces! After trying to fish it out with tweezers and {clean} hair clips, it's just going to have to stay there :-/
{This is my life y'all. I can't make this stuff up!}

Since giving her the medicine, she is already crawling around like normal, has eaten about 6 oz of baby food, and is a bit more talkative than she has been since her fever.
{Precious girl on the mend}

I'm so glad we didn't let the nurse talk us out of going to the doctor. Just another reason why you should listen to your motherly instinct and be your child's advocate!! More than anything, I'm just so glad to know Jillian will be ok with this medicine, and doesn't have measles/chickenpox/anything really awful. {Google is not your friend when your child is sick!}

Happy Friday y'all and stay healthy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...