Thursday, March 21, 2013

Running with Luck

For my first 5K, I chose the Run Lucky 5K that benefits the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I did this for 2 big reasons:

1) I've volunteered for this 5K before, {I passed out bananas 2 years ago}, and a former co-worker of mine helped start it in 2010.
2) It was right around the time I'd be done with the Couch-to-5K program. This meant, I would have to follow through with training and stay on top of it!

After about 6ish weeks of doing the program on a treadmill, I started working out in our neighborhood. When people tell you it's different, they are so right! Plus, this would be good training for the windy/cool weather Oklahoma is infamous for the entire month of March.

On March 9th, I did my last workout and decided to jog the full distance of the 5K since I was usually between .5 and .4 miles short in terms of time.
{Did it in 46:30!}

Then, the three of us piled into the Jeep, and picked up our packets!

The next morning, we had to be up early for choir at church. The whole morning felt so slow, and my stomach was just in knots. I had to keep telling myself it was just like a normal workout, but that didn't help a lot ;) Before I knew it, it was time to get dressed and head towards the race!

{Starting line on a cold, cold morning} 

{Phil and Jillian during the Mission Mile Fun Run!} 

I ended up jogging 3 out of the 5 Ks and walking the other 2, but I did walk briskly ;) By the time I got to the finish line, I was kind of by myself. They called my name as I crossed the finish line, and I nearly cried. I just couldn't believe I made it! I had trained long and hard since January 1st. I was very proud of myself. {And no, the tears stopped so I didn't officially cry ;)}

{Can't believe I did it!}
{Official time: 43:17} 

{Checking out my medal} 

Jillian's hands were so cold so we gave her my gloves and hurried home. Well, after I got my complimentary banana and green beer!
{She's such a cute popsicle ;)}

I just have a few nuggets of knowledge to share. You can write these off if you've done this before. More than anything, if I decide to do this again after baby #2, (which I'm not pregnant now, but more on that later), I'll have something to reference.

1) Try to train as much as you can outside, especially if you're doing a late-winter/early-spring race. Since the weather could be windy, cold, or both, it's important to be prepared no matter what the forecast says.
2) If it is windy, and you suffer from allergies, take something before the race. Not only was my body sore, my head hurt for two days after.
3) I didn't realize my tracking chip came with a zip tie for my shoe. I tried sticking in on the side of my shoe, but it kept sneaking up and almost falling out. I put it under my foot, but that was extremely uncomfortable. Make sure you can attach it to your shoelaces!
4) No matter what, drink as much water as you can hold the 36 hours following the race. Trust me, it's worth all those trips to the bathroom!
5) Make sure you have layers if it will be cold. I ended up having to wear my windbreaker jacket from my senior year of high school. Nothing like having your maiden name on your clothes, and repping your high school 9 years later amiright?
6) Don't beat yourself up if you have to stop running/jogging, even momentarily. Listen to your body, and work with it.
7) And most importantly: YOU CAN DO IT!!! All those voices telling you how you can't? You'll shut them up, and maybe even scream booyah in their face ;)

I am doing another 5K next month with my dad. I don't know how well I'll do, but I will still be proud of myself :) I don't know how many more I'll do in the future either. All I can say is, anything is possible.

{Except for marathons. I don't think I could even do a 10K let alone a full marathon. Nope nope nope. Not gonna happen.}

4 comments:

  1. You are so amazing, my friend! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo hooo! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: you did great at the race!

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...