Friday, July 2, 2010

One Day You'll See Her...

I hope y'all are liking the new look :) I'm still stuck on the couch while my medicine continues to work. I feel nauseous off and on and cramps from time to time, but nothing too bad so far. I did get a call from the nurse at Dr. Vaughan's office telling me that my levels from Wednesday already showed a drop. Hopefully I can get a good reading tomorrow. I'm ready to be with my parents. Phil had to go to work today so I'll be home alone until 10:30ish. Hopefully I can talk to my mom around 8 or so. My parents sent me some sweet flowers yesterday. The card said "These will have to do until we can give you a real hug" Aww.... I love them :)

Like I promised, here is the recipe for the turkey burgers we had on Monday night. Now, we actually made several changes to this recipe and I'll note them as I go along. First, here's a picture to entice you ;)
{via}
Yummmm :)

Here's the recipe:

BBQ Chicken Burgers with Slaw by Rachael Ray

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces

  • 1 small red onion, 1/2 finely chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced **We omitted this and it was still good**

  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste

  • 1 teaspoon sugar

  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it

  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce, eyeball it **We always have Tabasco on hand**

  • 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken **We used ground turkey**

  • 1 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick brand) a palm full

  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided

  • 2 tablespoons honey, eyeball it

  • 1 lemon, juiced

  • 3 rounded tablespoons sweet pickle relish **I think we omitted this as well**

  • 2 cups shredded cabbage mix

  • Salt and pepper

  • 4 cornmeal Keiser rolls, split **We used good ol' hamburger buns**

  • Directions:

    In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add chopped onions, garlic and tomato paste and sweat them for 5 minutes to soften and sweeten. Sprinkle in sugar and remove from heat. Cool in a bowl, 5 minutes. Add tomato paste mixture, Worcestershire, hot sauce to bowl and combine. Add chicken to the bowl then grill seasoning and combine the burgers well to evenly distribute the flavors and form 4 patties. Wash up.

    Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan, in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties 6 minutes on each side.

    Combine the honey, lemon juice, and remaining extra-virgin olive oil in a bowl. Add relish, cabbage mix and sliced onions and season with salt and pepper. Toss the slaw to coat and reserve.

    Serve burgers on bun bottoms topped with slaw and bun tops.

    I promise you won't be disappointed if you try this out. Plus, I love me some Rachael Ray and didn't realize it was her recipe until I looked it up myself!

    Day 01 - Your favorite song
    Day 02 - Your least favorite song
    Day 03 - A song that makes you happy


    Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io
    "This Side" by Nickel Creek
    Day 04 - A song that makes you sad
    Day 05 - A song that reminds you of someone
    Day 06 - A song that reminds you of somewhere
    Day 07 - A song that you know all the words to
    Day 08 - A song that you can dance to
    Day 09 - A song that you want to play at your wedding
    Day 10 - A song that you want to play at your funeral
    Day 11 - A song that makes you think of your best friend
    Day 12 - A song that is a guilty pleasure
    Day 13 - A song that no one would expect you to love
    Day 14 - A song that describes you
    Day 15 - A song from your favorite album
    Day 16 - A song from your favorite band
    Day 17 - A song from a band you can't stand
    Day 18 - A song that makes you laugh
    Day 19- A song that you wish you could play
    Day 20 - A song from your childhood
    Day 21- A song with great lyrics
    Day 22- A song you love with no lyrics
    Day 23 - A song that you can play on an instrument
    Day 24 - A song that you could never get tired of
    Day 25 - Your favorite song at this time last year

    This song always makes me smile. I'm always joking that songs are about me. However, this song describes my soul and no matter what's going on with me, my life, my loved ones, etc., it always brings a smile to my face. It's also where I got my blog name from! I hope you enjoy it too :)

    Peace to you,


    "This Side" by Nickel Creek

    1 comment:

    1. Ok so I finally made it through some of your blog...first of all, those burgers look DELISH!! I am making them soon! Also, my thoughts and prayers are with you, I hope you feel better very soon!! Some words that I live by, "God will never take you where the grace of God cannot protect you." Maybe they will help you a little as well!

      ReplyDelete

    But I Know What It Feels Like

    This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...