Thursday, July 29, 2010

Two Hands On The Wheel Of My Fate...

{via}
During my cross-country adventures in the car, I had to endure some challenges on the road. We have the angry guy who loves to give anyone the finger who doesn't move out of his way after tailgating WAY too closely for 30 seconds. Then we have the driver who drives a really old car with questionable tires as fast as they can in a pouring rain storm. Don't even get me started on semi-trucks.

I honestly think I'm a very good driver. I do drive pretty quickly overall, but I'm always safe and alert. I'm still skittish when it comes to driving in any weather condition involving precipitation, but I'm definitely better than before. With this in mind, I continuously began to ponder the question....

What makes a driver confident?

Is it confidence in their own skills? Confidence that everyone will get out of their way and do what they want? Or is it just a lack of understanding that they could get seriously hurt or die if they continue to drive so recklessly?

Could it be a combination of two or all the above?

Regardless of the answer to that question, I honestly believe in something: No matter where you are going, your punctuality does not trump another person's life. It's not their fault you didn't allot enough time to get where you're going. Medical emergencies are one thing, but I guarantee that many reckless drivers are not on their way to the ER. I doubt the 17 year-old in a tripped out Ford F-350 is in labor.

No matter what your confidence level, remember that we all share the road and we all have a life story. We're someone's child, friend, sibling, lover, and important to someone somewhere. Let's all calm down just a little and remember we're all on a journey :)

Day 01 - Your favorite song
Day 02 - Your least favorite song
Day 03 - A song that makes you happy
Day 04 - A song that makes you sad
Day 05 - A song that reminds you of someone
Day 06 - A song that reminds you of somewhere
Day 07 - A song that you know all the words to
Day 08 - A song that you can dance to
Day 09 - A song that you want to play at your wedding
Day 10 - A song that you want to play at your funeral
Day 11 - A song that makes you think of your best friend
Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io
"Extraordinary Machine" by Fiona Apple
Day 12 - A song that is a guilty pleasure
Day 13 - A song that no one would expect you to love
Day 14 - A song that describes you
Day 15 - A song from your favorite album
Day 16 - A song from your favorite band
Day 17 - A song from a band you can't stand
Day 18 - A song that makes you laugh
Day 19- A song that you wish you could play
Day 20 - A song from your childhood
Day 21- A song with great lyrics
Day 22- A song you love with no lyrics
Day 23 - A song that you can play on an instrument
Day 24 - A song that you could never get tired of
Day 25 - Your favorite song at this time last year

It was hard to pick just one song since I have several best friends :) I feel this really describes my relationship with each. Even though all are similar in some respects, they are all different people. Deep down, the common thread among them is me and my relationship with them. All are great listeners and seem to give me what I need exactly when I need it. I just pray I do the same for them :) So here's to my best friends, in no particular order: Phil, Janet, Chaz, Mikey, Annette, Carrie, Abbey, and Jess. I love you all whole-heartedly! Remember, I'm a lyrics person so check them out ;)

Happy Thursday!

Peace,
"Student Driver" by Stellar Kart

2 comments:

  1. So true! Drives me nuts when people are zooming in and out of lanes... all I can think is how dangerous it is and how close they are coming to seriously injuring someone. So scary. Sometimes driving is just so scary when you think about it.

    Glad you had a SAFE trip!! :)

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...