Thursday, November 11, 2010

I Could Offer You A Warm Embrace...


If you follow me on Twitter, you noticed that I announced today would be hard for me. Hard because of a decision Phil and I have made that I'm not 100% sold on.

You see, back in January, I announced that we had a new member of the household. Her name is Salem and she is the sweetest cat in the world. Well, I don't recall mentioning it on here, but a few months after we got her, {I'd say around May}, she started using the corners of our apartment as her private liter box. Ok, that's not cool! So we bought special cleaner, watched her like a hawk, putting her in the bathroom with a liter box/food/water overnight, and she stopped. In that particular corner. She moved to a new corner, and then just under our bar stools, and then next to the liter box. Here's the main problem, she does it sporadically enough that, when we think she's got it out of her system, she'll do it again.

A few months ago, we took Petey to the vet because he had something wrong with his eye. While we were there, we mention to the vet what's been happening. First of all, he said they have more people complain about this who own fixed, female cats. Most people assume it's just young males, but that's not the case. The vet told us there is only one "trick", {and I use that term loosely}, to see what's going on. Essentially, cats don't always like to be in a large group. Sharing may be her problem, not pristinely clean liter could be the problem, or she could just be an outdoor cat. After the visit, we're tried out best to keep it as clean as we can. We even box a third liter box to see if that would help.

No such luck.

After Salem pooped on the floor while we finished breakfast yesterday, we knew we needed to do something.

Here's where it gets hard for me. Sure, I've had outdoor pets before. However, this was due to my family adopting strays, or in some cases, strays adopting us. We had our indoor dog, Candy, for a long time, and never had strictly outdoor pets after we moved to Oklahoma. We certainly never adopted a pet, made them indoor, then dubbed them an outdoor pet. Being the animal lover I am, I keep picturing Salem outside... cold, lonely.... sad, unable to defend herself (she's declawed).... missing us. It absolutely breaks my heart. However, what hurts even worse is thinking about putting her back in the shelter system or just giving her up period. I love her so much! Phil had an outdoor dog most of his life so he's not too worried. I did get him to agree to building a "shelter" of some sorts. So after talking with my mama, and Phil, we decided to get her a new collar and tag with our contact info and test the waters. I am only ok with doing this at our current apartment because we have a fenced in patio area. It's small, but she seems to enjoy being out there most of the time. I chickened out and asked to skip last night and try it for the day today. However, it started misting this morning, {of course!}, so she started to "mew" outside the door. Phil let her in and forgot to put her back out before he left the apartment this morning. My mama did warn me that, whenever we do move, she may not want to leave and I need to be prepared for that :( She said it's like having children: you have certain rules, but if your child is clearly not happy, you need to fix the situation so they are. My mama is a wise lady :)

Am I just over-reacting? Am I being too soft? Do you think she'll be ok?

That's why I'm so "on-edge" today. I'm just worried about my little SaySay. Gotta let my baby take her wings and fly... as long as it's not over the fence HAHA

With that being said, here's my poem for today...
{And just for an FYI, I'm not a smoker. I just tried to put myself in that character. No new bad habit here!}

Weekender
The rising and falling
of her chest
as she inhales one more time

Swirling smoke suffocating
the sunroom
casting shadows in the rays of sun

Warmth overcomes her
She closes her eyes
The only time darkness comforts

The wind picks up
her hair
and tosses it with the salty taste of humidity

Expectation melting
drop by drop
running down her stream of consciousness

She is reminded
of why she is here
and where she came from

To escape?
To dream?

Peace to you,

"To Make You Feel My Love" by Adele

2 comments:

  1. I think Salem would be OK. I know my boss' cat is outside a lot & she seems OK. Of course, San Diego weather is a lot more pleasant than Oklahoma weather, but still. We always had indoor/outdoor cats growing up (she'd still come inside sometimes, right?) and they were always OK. I'd just be sure she's always up to date on shots (because of the interaction with wildlife) and that she gets vetted regularly especially if something seems off. Also, did your mom mean that you guys would leave her behind if you moved? I was confused about that... But you'd definitely take her with you (even if she's pissed) right? I assume. Anyway, it will be an adjustment, but I bet she'll be fine. Cats are pretty smart. Good luck to you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Alina.. I just want to say that..I love your cats !

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...