Saturday, July 23, 2011

Bébé Week 20 Update




{Today is a two-fer photo! I wanted a photo from the front to show that it's possible to tell I'm pregnant from the front :) }


I did get a phone call yesterday afternoon from my doctor that I was not expecting. Jill is absolutely fine, but I have a low-lying placenta. It sounds scary, but the research I've done through books and trusted internet resources, I think I have a good understanding. Essentially, the placenta should not be closer than 2 cm from the cervix. If the placenta is closer than that, but not covering the cervix in any way, it's considered a low-lying placenta. If it covers part or all of the cervix, it's called placenta previa. It can happen because the placenta hasn't moved up as quickly as the uterus and other muscles stretching right now. In about 85% of cases, the placenta will move up on its own. If it does not, then it can cause some problems. The worst case scenario is I could be put on bed rest, I could have some bleeding, I would need to have a C-section (because the placenta would try to come out before baby, making a vaginal birth impossible), or I could have placenta abruptio. I'm confident in my doctor that she will take care of me and I'm not too nervous. It is a little scary to know something is wrong, but it's nice to know that it's not really life-threatening :) Plus, I'm satisfied that Jill is healthy! I will have to go back in 7 weeks  for another ultrasound to see if the placenta has moved on it's own. Won't have to twist my arm to see my baby again so soon :)


Today's date: July 23, 2011

How far along: 20 week - halfway there!

Total weight gain: I'm at a loss of 7 pounds to date.

Size and growth of the baby: The size of a cantalope! Baby gulps down several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. And, these days, those taste buds actually work! Studies show that after birth, babies respond best to tastes they've already had via amniotic fluid. Meaning, think about what you'd like your future child to eat as you prepare your own lunch. {per}

Sex: It's a girl! Jillian Rose

Maternity clothes: Pants are maternity unless they are my gauchos from 5 summers ago. I only wear non-maternity shirts if I want to look pregnant. If I wear maternity tops, it's hard to see the bump.

Sleep: I wake up 3-4 times a night to pee or just to switch positions. I keep waking up on my back, but I'm starting to get a little better about lying on my side.

Best moment(s) of the week: Finding out Jill is healthy, telling the world about her and feeling some more movement :)

Movement: I feel her every so often, but not everyday. Sometimes, when I'm gassy, it's hard to tell if it's just gas or both that and Jill. Phil was able to feel a kick the other night. It was soft, but it was nice to see his face!

Food cravings/aversions: Same aversions as before. Hot chocolate, Reese's Pieces, tomatoes, and anything cold are my biggest cravings at the moment.

Morning sickness: I still take Zofran everyday at lunch just to be safe. Slight nausea when I eat something too greasy, so I just need to watch out for that.

Symptoms: Nausea, peeing a lot, cranky, heartburn/acid, gassy, and pretty emotional.

Labor signs: None

Belly button in or out: In

What I miss: Nothing really :)

What I'm looking forward to: Registering, and finding out if my placenta has fixed itself.

1 comment:

  1. Your belly is adorable!!

    And I'm sorry to hear that news about your placenta but I have a good feeling that it will move itself up and you and Jill will be just fine! :) Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...