Thursday, July 14, 2011

Trolls

{via}

Despite the adorable picture, this post is not about these type of trolls. I will admit I had several as a child and I even had a treehouse play set for them! Alas, the type of trolls I'm talking about today are a bit uglier than that.

I know I'm not the best commenter, but I do read lots of blogs using my GoogleReader. There are several blogs where I feel I have made a connection with the writer for various reasons. I know that it's different from the friendships I make with people I interact with physically on a weekly basis, but I do still consider some of them friends. If there's one thing about my personality that I cannot stress enough is my loyalty to my friends. You hurt or upset them and I'm like an angry mama bear: I take no excuses. I may never understand why some people are hurtful just to be hurtful, but it's their burden to deal with and not mine.

A troll is defined as: a person who posts deliberately provocative messages online with the intention of causing disruption or an argument.

I personally feel like this definition could go one step further by including people who seek out message boards, blogs, etc. that have things they do not agree with just to be negative. Who honestly has time for that? And those who will create fake facebook, or twitter, or blogs just to hurt someone? I can barely keep up with my blog about my life!

Why am I bringing this up? I have read so many blog entries that, at some point in the post, mention the writer's desire that no one judge them or post negative comments because it's their life, it's their way of working out a problem, etc.

I do understand that, with a public blog, you are essentially opening yourself up to anyone who is willing to take the time to read. I also understand that there are hundreds upon hundreds of different opinions out there. I get that there are just some people out there with no tact or respect for others. I just don't see why anyone has to feel like they must defend their thoughts, their actions, etc. to complete strangers. It's one thing if it's a person you feel close to giving their 2 cents or opinions. However, if it's an anonymous person, or someone who has never commented before, and they have nothing but horrible things to say? There's no point in that. Even if I disagree with what someone is doing, or a decision they've made, I make like Thumper and shut my trap. You know why? It's not my life and it's not my decision.

I have never personally had an issue with trolls people doing this to me, but I have seen it before on message boards and other blogs. I will tell you one thing, I will not tolerate it if it ever happens to me. I have no qualms about immediately deleting a comment directed at me or my family with nothing but the intention to hurt my feelings or start a fight. I have enough things to think about that I don't need to have an internet argument. 

So please keep in mind that there is a major difference between constructive criticism, giving your friend some helpful advice, and being a troll. Never make anyone apologize for the way they feel, even if it's in a public forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...