Friday, July 29, 2011

Preferences And Choice: Part One

I've had a roughish week in terms of work, dealing with incredibly rude drivers and fighting off a possible sinus infection. I cannot put into words how very happy I am that tomorrow is Saturday. With such a rough reality surrounding me this week, I've done lots of planning and day-dreaming. Having Jill is definitely going to change things, but I'm also looking forward to other changes in the future. Changes like Phil officially earning his degree, moving and owning a house, being able to create a nursery for Jill, etc. I also have been watching lots of my favorite shows on DVD and this particular episode of How I Met Your Mother really sparked something in me.

How long do we take to make up our minds about our likes and dislikes, just to realize they've changed? How often do we put someone in a category for what they like just to have them tell us a few years later that they're just not that into whatever it is anymore?

{This will be split up into two different posts today just because of all the pictures/examples I have :)}

Knowing I will be registering for Jill soon, I suddenly realized how much pressure I had to make everything match. To pick a theme and get a matching stroller, car seat, pack-n-play, bedding, etc. Yeah, that's really cute, but with the nursery I'm planning for Jill, that won't really work. And to be honest, I'm not into owls, or bright green elephants, or monkeys. Sadly that's most of my options of matching everything. I even saw a car seat that, I'm assuming, was supposed to look like sliced apples with the seeds exposed, but really it looked more like a female body part to me. Ick!

I won't reveal the nursery theme just yet because I won't be able to do anything solid with it until we move out of our small apartment. Honestly, Phil and I could make the 2nd bedroom a small nursery, but I know we'll have visitors and such and I really don't want to have to get rid of all the furniture inside. Too much hassle. Anyways, my point is, I think I've decided I don't care if things match. I don't care if everything I get for Jill is overly feminine or not. I want her to decide for herself what she likes. The nursery will be fairly feminine and she'll have lots of hair bows and dresses in true southern style, so don't worry about that ;) I will show you what I mean with a few of the things I'm considering for the registry/buying myself.
{via BabiesRUs}
How cute is this play-mat? And the best part? It's ocean themed. I would love if Jill was into sea life and watching Finding Nemo. I want to give her the option to love the ocean.

{via Target}
This I thought was really cute. It has lots of bright colors and it has cute-sy insects in it. I don't want to have lots of overly feminine items because she might be a tree-climbing, dirt-scooping tomboy and that's perfectly fine with me. I think all girls go through a short tomboy phase anyways. 

Now I understand this is still ocean themed, but how cute is this?! I mean, sharks are usually a favorite for boys, but it's a pink shark! Absolutely adorable :)

Again, robots are usually a boy thing. However, who could resist this? Plus, Phil really like the song because his marching band in high school performed it at one point. Cute yes? Watch out Phil, it's almost payday ;)

I feel the need to explain this one. My parents just got their sailing license this year and my dad has been taking fencing lessons for almost 3 years now. We keep teasing him that he is going to retire from the church to be a pirate. How precious would it be for Jill to dress up like a girly pirate and go sailing with her grandpa?! As soon as she's a toddler, I'm getting something like this for her to wear on sailing days :)

{via Scentsy - Consultant Laura Barndt}
I may not be into the entire jungle theme due to the fact that I don't like monkeys everywhere or giraffes because of this SNL skit, (I would just want to scream GIRAFFE all the time), but I do like lions! And I think Roarbert is so cute! I wanted to buy this particular Scentsy Buddy since it came out, but never had the extra money. Look out Laura, I'm finally placing an order for your August party! :)

Now, I do want to say that people who have everything match for their child are not wrong in any way, shape or form. It's perfectly fine if that's what you want to do. Sometimes it even turns out really cute! I just don't want to overload my child with just one specific thing because it would make me feel like I'm choosing their preferences for them. I want Jill and any future children we have to make up their own minds on what their likes and dislikes are. Plus, it'll be fun to watch them learn about themselves along the way!

1 comment:

  1. That seat from Target? We have it (in a different design), and we love it.

    And yay for Scentsy Buddies! :) Ethan has Lenny the Lamb, but lately I've been calling him "monkey," so, I think I'll need to get him the monkey, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...