Tuesday, January 28, 2014

6 Weeks Post-Partum Round Deux

I had my 6 week post-partum appointment on 1/14. We talked about how insanely fast my labor and delivery went, a few health points, and I got the all clear to live life normally!

Phil and I are still deciding if we are truly done having children. We are praying about it, and we will let you know when we know :)

{My doctor did warn me that labor would happen even faster if we have more children. In fact, if I don't feel like I can get to the hospital within 30 minutes of feeling labor starting, we will discuss inducing at 39 weeks so we don't have a roadside birth on our hands! HAHA}

Now, it's time to get healthy again! I was in the process of changing my habits last year when I found out I was pregnant. While my major morning sickness was a reason I couldn't eat any food period for a few weeks, I still could have eaten healthier if I chose. Of course, I opted for spoonfuls of Nutella and Pop-Tarts ;)

I was only able to supply breast milk via pumping for 3-1/2 weeks, similar to what happened with Jillian. I see now that that is just how my supply is because of my breast reduction surgery in 2007. I didn't lose much weight during that time, and the holidays didn't help. I kept eating sugar just to keep my energy level up. While it helped a bit, it kept me from really losing any weight. I started tracking calories, but it was getting too hard to keep up with while trying to keep track of baby feedings/diaper changes, etc. Plus, if I'm being honest, I was being a little lazy about it.

Also, I always knew that PCOS would really keep me from losing weight, but it also has other health issues that have me scared. Not only am I more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes, I am more at risk for heart disease and early heart attacks. I know that won't happen soon, but it is still a scary thought :(

With that in mind, I decided to forgo counting calories. I am focusing on making healthy choices, and attempting to workout for at least 10 minutes every single day. {Some days I may just set the timer on our microwave and pace in the living room, but at least that's something!} Overall, I know this won't be easy, but it's a change I need to make before I really put my health in jeopardy.

Starting today, this is the beginning of my new weight loss-health gain journey!

Starting Weight: 235.8

Starting Upper Arm: 16"
Starting Chest: 43 1/2"
Starting Waist: 40 1/2"
Starting Hips: 46 1/2"
Starting Thighs: 27 1/2"
Starting Calves: 16 1/2"


{I don't have a before picture right now, but I'll edit this post and put it up later.}

This isn't a resolution, and I'm not even really making it a goal. I'm changing my habits so that my health will be the best it can for my children and my future! I will post details of how I'm changing my habits later. I have to get a handle on it first ;)

As my mom told me the other day: While taking care of my family is a priority, taking care of myself so that I can then take care of them is also a priority. If I'm not in the best health I can be, can I help anyone? Nope, not really. 


Here's to health!


p.s. My baby is turning 2 months on Saturday! How is this possible?!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I am here for moral support if you need it, the last 2 months have not been great for me, but there are no more holidays for a while so that is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'll definitely need some moral support. Holidays are always rough, especially because I really shouldn't eat certain things that just sound so good. Hope your journey is doing well now!

      Delete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...