Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What Will Baby Be?


The big day is fast approaching. I'm trying to come up with a few ways to ensure baby is awake, moving, and ready to show the goods since the ultrasound is at 8:30 a.m. Again, I honestly don't care what gender baby is, but I do worry about the overall health of baby. I'm sure everything is fine and I do have a peace in my heart that makes me very happy. However, being a natural worrier and new mom, I'm starting my journey down over-protective boulevard :)

For fun, I decided to have a list of old wives' tales to see what baby will be! I can't do the heartbeat being below or above 140 bpm because we haven't been given a specific number since the first time we heard it. It always sounded good and healthy, but we don't have an exact number.

Morning Sickness
The tale here is, the sicker you are, the more likely it's a girl. Why? Your hormones are battling with baby girl's hormones, causing you to have an upset stomach. If you have hardly any sickness, it's a boy.


Verdict: Coming from a line of queasy ladies, it was only fair that I had a rough time with all day morning sickness. According to the tale, I'm having a girl.


Carrying Baby
The tale deals with how you carry baby. High will be a girl and low will be a boy.

Verdict: It's funny because I could have sworn that baby was moving up a few weeks ago, but now it's back down. According to the tale, I'm having a boy.


Ring On A String Test
This tale says that you place the mom's wedding ring on a piece of string and hang it over the belly. If the ring moves in a circle, it's a boy. If it moves from side to side, it's a girl.

Verdict: Both Phil and I took turns holding the ring. When I held it, it went in circles. When Phil held it, the ring went from side to side. According to the tale, I'm having a boy/girl.


Acne
This tale says the more acne you have, you're having a girl. If you have hardly any acne, it's a boy.

Verdict: I have been blessed to only get a few pimples on my chin  since the beginning. (A few being 3 total since I found out I was pregnant.) According to the tale, I'm having a boy.


Key Test
The tale has a key on a table and the mother has to pick it up. If she picks it up from the ridge part, (the thin part of the key), it's a girl. If she picks it up at the head of the key, it's a boy.

Verdict: When I picked up the key, I picked it from the head of the key. According to the tale, I'm having a boy.


Chinese Gender Chart
I'm not entirely sure how they determine it, but it is a chart that you can find here that takes the mother's age at time of conception and the month in which baby was conceived.

Verdict: Now I have a confession (and it may be TMI so I apologize!). When we conceived our precious surprise, it was right around my birthday. I mean within the 3 days surrounding my birthday. Since I don't know when I ovulated because of my PCOS, I did the chart twice; once for age 24 and once for age 25. According to this tale, I'm having a girl/girl.


Mayan Gender Calendar
This is the same concept of the Chinese Gender. The difference is, it takes the age of the mother at time of conception and the year the child is conceived. If both are odd or even numbers, it's a girl. If it's an odd plus an even number, it's a boy.

Verdict: Again, I had to do it twice since I'm not entirely sure what my correct age is. According to the tale, I'm having a girl/boy.


Cravings
This tale says if you crave sweets/fruits, it's a girl. However, if you crave meats and salty foods, it's a boy.

Verdict: I have actually had an aversion to meat up until 3 weeks ago. I also didn't really want anything sugary or chocolatey. If I wanted a dessert, it was something sour like Key Lime pie and Lemon Heads. Now I'm up for just about anything, put my appetite has really picked up over the last week or so. According to this tale, I'm having a boy.

Voting
I've had my little poll on the sidebar for awhile now. Even though it's close, according to this, I'm having a girl.


Intelligender
This is a test you can purchase at the local drug store. It only has a 90% accuracy rate and it's a little expensive, ($40). However, Phil and I bought it just for a little fun. I did read on the box after I brought it home that women with PCOS should not use it. Well, that's a little disappointing. I'm not sure how it affects a urine test, but whatever. I took it anyways so the results are being taken with a grain of salt, (which we were going to anyways).

Verdict:


According to the test, I'm having a boy.

Mother's Intuition
From the beginning of this pregnancy, I've had a feeling I'm carrying a boy. Not just based on my cravings, but for another reason. Due to the ectopic pregnancy last summer, Phil and I had already picked out names for a boy and a girl. Even after we lost the pregnancy, I wanted to keep the names. However, as soon as we found out we were pregnant in April, I immediately despised the boy name. I couldn't rest until we had a new name. I downloaded baby name apps and had a new list of names to talk to Phil about for about a week. We finally picked a new name that I love and I relaxed. I feel like that may have been a sign it's a boy. According to this, I'm having a boy.

The final tally...
Boy -  8
Girl - 6

According to the tales and such, we're having a little boy. We'll hopefully know for sure on Thursday! I can't wait to start calling our sweet baby by name!!

2 comments:

  1. I bet you're right that it's a boy :). The mama generally is! I SO cannot wait to find out!!!! eee!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny, I love all those old wives tales! :P I've always heard people say that the mom usually is right so I'd guess boy too. Can't wait for you to find out!

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...