Thursday, January 26, 2012

Scary Morning

I'm pretty sure I lost about 5 years of my life this morning.

Let me explain. Yesterday, Phil woke up feeling really icky. His symptoms sounded a lot like allergies so he went to work as normal. I covered my office for a few hours with Ms. Jillian and she did pretty well, minus her poop explosion during the 20 minutes people decided to sudden call and do some work :-/ I'm just glad I had a new outfit for her in the diaper bag! Anyways, Phil brought me some lunch and he was doing much worse. He made the decision to use his inhaler and finish his experiment instead of just going home to relax. When I got off work, I decided to pamper my poor sick hubby. I changed the sheets, set up his slippers, clean pjs, two of his favorite TV shows on DVD with the remote next to his pillow, a clean towel so he could shower, a large cup of cold ginger ale, chicken soup for his dinner and a Snickers bar in case he felt better later :) Just to be safe, I told him Jillian and I would sleep in the living room so she's not around his germs all night.

The evening went well overall. I was able to bathe Jill by myself and get her and Phil fixed up for the night. I was feeling pretty good about myself!

Then Jillian woke up at 5 a.m. to feed. I gave her close to 5 ounces and she burped decently, though not as good as she usually does. After about 45 minutes, I decided to just lay her back in the Pack n Play to sleep a little longer. From about 6:15 to 8:20, she slept soundly. When I woke up around 7:50, I checked on her and she had a large spit up pool near her head! I moved her and suddenly realized that she had spit up SO much that it matted her hair on her left side, was on her left ear and was all around her mouth :( Talk about feeling like a mommy-fail! Even though she had all of this, she was still sound asleep and breathing well. I cleaned her off and she was still drowsy so I left her in the Pack n Play. By that point, Phil was up and wanted breakfast and the cats tried to kill me and wouldn't shut up did too. After giving Phil some buttered toast, I fed the cats. As I was putting the food bag back in the pantry, I scanned Jillian's Pack n Play to check on her as I usually do any time I walk past it.

What happened next scared me more than anything.

She was not breathing properly - as in she was giving short gasps in, but not exhaling. She also had clear bubbles around her mouth and she was lightly kicking her legs. My first thought was, "Oh my God, she's having a seizure!" Then for some reason, I decided no matter what was up, she couldn't breathe which was NOT a good sign. I yelled for Phil's help and picked her up into over-the-shoulder burping position. Her body was very rigid and it was making me even more nervous! She wasn't blue or anything, but I think that is partially because I caught it so fast. Phil watched me thump her for about 45 seconds before he took her and we grabbed her syringe bulb. We cleared her mouth several times, then syringed her nose and she finally started to cry! How can something sound so sad, but so beautiful at the same time? Poor baby also had a poop explosion as we cleared her mouth. After that, she was breathing normally again. We changed her and took her temperature - a normal 97.6.

I called the doctor just to let them know what happened. The triage nurse said it sounds like reflux or GERD.  She gave me a few tips to help her for now, but said the main "cure" is time so that her esophagus can get longer and her system becomes more mature. She did tell Dr. V who decided he wanted to look at her himself just for peace of mind. As a first time mom, I absolutely appreciate having a pediatrician like this!! So we are going at 4:15 today and getting her checked out. Phil won't be able to come, but I'm confident that I can do it myself.

I just feel so bad for Jillian. Girlfriend can't seem to catch a break right now :( She fell asleep for another 2 hours after the incident and then only ate 4 ounces. Then she spit up 2 more times, but not to the degree she did earlier. She's also passing a lot of gas. Hopefully the doctor can help her a little bit.

Phil is feeling a little better, but still needs his rest. I hope everyone will start to feel better tomorrow.

{At work with mama pre-poop explosion}

{After the excitement this morning}

Oh baby girl, you have got to stop scaring mama like this. She has enough gray/white hairs for now and she's gonna worry enough about you the rest of her life. Let's hope Dr. V will help you out and give mama peace of mind for a while... or at least until your next well appointment :) I love you. - Your mama

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness :(:( That is scary, and I'm so glad she's fine! Poor Jill... I hope the GERD goes away soon. Thinking of you guys! See you soon!

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...