Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Here I Am To Worship...



With Michael Jackson's memorial yesterday, (which I did not watch btw), the world kind of went nuts. I mean, yes it was a shock that he died. Yes, he was loved by millions for various reasons and we should honor the life he had. However, this whole thing turned into a circus and it was sad to watch.

On my way to work yesterday, I had my radio on KLOVE. The morning hosts were talking about the memorial service and one of them brought up a good point.


We were created to worship. Whether you believe in God or not, that's a large part of your purpose on earth. Ideally, you should use all of that time and energy on worshiping God. However, sometimes we focus on things that are not as important as Him and we end up having displaced worship. We'll worship a singer, a ball player, etc. I understand that "King of Pop" is just a title the media gave Jackson years ago. However, my only King is God and I refuse to get caught up in this displaced worship of this human.

Don't get me wrong, I really like his music. It paved the way for many more artists that I enjoy today. As far as what he was accused of doing, I'm not sure. I don't know him personally nor do I know any more details than anyone else. Since I am not on a jury, I'm not forced to decide or judge one way or the other and it's not my place to do so. God and Mr. Jackson know what happened and that's all that really matters. He was a good hearted man who had a beautiful gift of music that he shared with the world. It is a sad time and we should celebrate his influential life. What we should not do is build him up to be a god. No matter how incredible, the one true God is immeasurably so. Though I may stumble and struggle with this most of my human life, for the time being, my worship lies with Him.

I'll leave you with the lyrics of a song I heard on KLOVE this morning. It expresses how I am feeling when I think of the day I am finally called home to be with those I love.

"Legacy" by Nichole Nordeman
I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such-n-such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one



Just something to think about today :)

Peace to you,


"Here I Am to Worship" by Chris Tomlin

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...