Friday, February 4, 2011

Still Can't Lay Me Down To Sleep...


{via}
So far, February and I are fighting.

p.s. Did that picture make you laugh too? I really think it's my favorite thing about today XD

The past two days, Phil has been sweet enough to drive me to and from work. The roads are slowly getting better, but they're still pretty bad. I pretty much wanted to cry every time we got to our destination just because I had been so tense up until that point. All these rednecks in their large trucks think that 70 mph on an icy highway is acceptable. It did snow off and on today and we're supposed to get even more so who knows how bad the roads could get :(

Then, I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before or not, but in December of 09, Phil and I returned home after Christmas vacation to find the ceiling in our closet and collapsed. It caused water damage to some of our clothes, items, but luckily it *barely* missed my wedding dress. It was really cold and we had a huge heating bill that month. The apartment maintenance guys finally got it fixed and we were fine. Well, before work yesterday, we noticed a few pieces of the ceiling on the floor so we reported that it might be weakening. When we got home from work, it was dripping. Here's the kicker: maintenance can't fix it until the snow melts. Great. With more snow in the forecast, it may take even longer! Now, I'm severely allergic to mold so my sinuses and I are not getting along. It also doesn't help that half our closet is now scattered around our bedroom, bathroom and hallway upstairs. Let me tell you, there's not that much room in the first place :-/ So now we have 3 buckets, a tarp, and our prayers keeping that ceiling from collapsing a second time. Urgh!

A few other small things have happened, but I'm sure you get the gist. Phil is the one who hates February, but I guess it's rubbing off on me this year. *sigh* I'm ready for March.

However, not everything in February is bad. Today is my Aunt Nancy's birthday. Sadly, she passed away in 2005 and I think of her very often. We were very much alike and she was such a joy to all who had the honor of knowing and loving her. I miss her very much. Also, I'm currently reading this book and it has made me realize how much I like and admire Abe Lincoln (minus the vampire stuff since that is not true at all). It is a good book, but sometimes it takes quotes from his speeches and I just really like them. Since his birthday is February 12th, I figure he's one of the few good things about February :)

For my Friday Five, I thought I'd do something in honor of good ol' Honest Abe :)

My Five Favorite Abraham Lincoln Quotes

1. "I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have" {via}

2. "Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it" {via}

3. "No personal significance, or insignificance, can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation. We say we are for the Union. The world will not forget that we say this. We know how to save the Union. The world knows we do know how to save it. We - even we here - hold the power, and bear the responsibility" {via}

4. "There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future. All these are links in the endless chains stretching from the finite to the infinite" {via}

5. "With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations" {via}

Peace to you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...