Friday, April 6, 2012

Nailed On The Cross

Today is a big day within the Christian church. This is the day that Jesus Christ is hung upon a cross like a criminal and dies. He sheds his blood for me, as well as the entire world.

We tend to just lump all sins into the word "sin" and leave it at that. I started thinking of just how specific it can get.

For the days that I wake up on the wrong side of the bed and take it out on the other drivers during my morning commute? It's up there on the cross.

When I've chosen to drown my feelings with alcohol just to numb myself for a few hours? It's up there on the cross.

For the times I say "Oh my God!" instead of "Oh my goodness"? It's up there on the cross.

Every time I hurt a friend by what I say or what I have left unsaid? It's up there on the cross.

For the times I am not honest about receiving too much change back at the grocery store? It's up there on the cross.

Sin is sin. It does not matter to God if I tell a white lie to spare someone's feelings or if I am committing adultery. And you know what? Today marks the day that I don't have to bear that any longer. I still have to ask forgiveness, and mean it. However, this sacrifice makes that possible. Without Jesus being humiliated and mutilated on that cross, I would never have the opportunity to have my sins forgiven by humbly seeking God.

My favorite line from the old hymn "It Is Well with My Soul" by Horatio Spafford and Phillip Bliss is this:
"My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole
is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more"

How amazing is that? It's not easy to think that another human being, no matter how perfect and divine, would go through such torture just for you. Honestly? It is the most beautiful thing in the world and brings me to tears every year.

I honestly love the next 48 hours within the church. Not only remembering how moving this sacrifice is, but also observing the day in between Good Friday and Easter Sunday. However, that is a post for tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...