Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Good Article In My Opinion

This. A thousand times this.

This is something I could have seriously written myself, though not as well thought out as this man. I can't tell you how many times I have felt like saying this out loud.

I mentioned in this post that I was feeling pressure. It's not getting any better. The worst is witnessing bullying on forums, birth clubs, Facebook... really any sort of social media in existence today. Luckily for me, I have not been personally attacked. It does upset me when my friends are though :(

Let me also mention that I have no problem with people bringing up important information about a controversial issue. However, please please please make sure it's a reliable source. I know I personally check with Phil if a journal or other article quoted is legit or not. He's written enough academic articles to be able to decipher which ones are worth reading or not. Another rule of thumb for myself? If there are several adjectives about the writer's personal feelings in an article that is supposed to give me scientific/academic statistics? I don't read much further. That is too close to sensational journalism, and I don't trust it. Andplusalso? Check the year on the articles written or cited. If I've learned anything from having a scientist husband, it's that information is constantly being challenged. That's the whole point of science! Making sure it's the newest information is important to me as well.

If you have an opinion on something, that's totally fine. If it differs from my personal opinion, it's not a big deal. If you're not strapping your child in a car seat and letting them hang out the window at high speeds? I might be inclined to say something about your parenting choices. Otherwise, it's your child. As long as you're making the best decision for your child, and your family, that's all that matters. Use your best judgement, and try not to get pushed around by the bullies of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...