Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Only Once {I Pray}

This is the one and only politically charged blog post I intend on writing. {Hopefully ever, but we'll see.} If you want to skip, that's fine. Know that whatever I put in this post, it is not aimed at anyone, nor is intended to offend. If you are offend, please accept my apology for not finding better words to express myself. If you disagree, that is fine. Please know that I will only delete or not accept a comment on this if it is littered with name calling or offensive language. Otherwise, differing opinions are ok :)

I'm going to be perfectly honest and say that I'm scared. I am a Christian that believes God is in control, but I also believe he gave us free will. I also believe we live in a broken world, and that we human beings will continue to act like human beings.

With that in mind, the election this past November did not go the way I would have liked. I know that the other candidate was just as scary to other people, but I doubt she would have done all these things so quickly, and without much thought of repercussions. It feels like everywhere I turn, everyone is shouting at the top of their lungs. The problem with that is, who is left to listen? And I don't mean, hear what is being said and have a rebuttal. I mean real communication. Hearing their words. Hearing the feelings and thoughts behind those words. Putting yourself in their place. Trying to see why they are scared, or mad, or worried. Listen with your whole body and heart, then just give them a hug. No more making points. No more name calling. And no more making everyone with like an ignorant stooge.

Since November, I've probably cried once a week. I worry about the future. I worry about how the world views us. I worry about my children. I worry about other children and families. I worry about all sorts of things. It breaks my heart to think of the fear that various people are feeling and experiencing right now. My heart aches every single day with the words and actions of people I personally know, and people I don't know.

Quite honestly, I am overwhelmed by what I can truly do to make a change. I don't have the time or resources to go on a march. I don't have money to donate. The world is so broken, that I have doubts of what difference I can make. So, I've thought about it, and my mom told me these words: "Don't worry about changing the whole world. Focus on changing your world." There's not much I can do when things happen in other cities. However, I can sign petitions. I can teach my children to do better, want better, and be better. I can do little things with great love. That is what I intend to do.

I believe in a God who loves. I believe in a God who told me that the "greatest of these is love" 1 Corinthians 13:13. I believe in a God who told me the two most important commandments were to "love God" and my "neighbor as [my]self" Matthew 22:36-40. I believe in what I was taught about putting others first. I will always err on the side of love. I will always err on the side of supporting my neighbor, no matter the reason why they are looked down upon. I will be as much of an extension of God's love as I can humanly be.

It's to the point now that I feel like I have to be saying something political, or else it will look like I don't care. Do not mistake my silence for disinterest. I am involved. I am emotionally invested. I want to help make changes. For me, I just have to start here, in my little corner of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...