Monday, October 15, 2012

Coming to Terms

Since I'm an honest person, I feel like I need to admit something. I don't take my PCOS very seriously.

Sure I take Metformin 3 times a day with meals, and I'm aware of how it affects my body. However, I don't do much more. With the Metformin, I have to be cautious with what I eat. Not many carbs and definitely not many rich/creamy foods. Since my diagnosis almost 3 years ago, it's been a struggle for me.

My main problem is simple: If I'm taking my medicine and feeling good, I'll eat a food I miss because I think it won't hurt. Then it does hurt. Then I get so mad at myself for messing up my body, and falling off the wagon.

Alfredo sauce? LOVED it. It used to be the only dish I would order at Italian restaurants. Now? I have to stick with marinara or something less creamy than alfredo.

Ice cream shakes with whipped cream? Make me drool. If I just split one, or take a few sips of Phil's, I would be fine. Having my own to drink is what makes me sick, no matter what the size is. I had one on Friday night and woke up Saturday feeling awful. I mean, the skipped-breakfast-because-my-stomach-hurt-so-much kind of awful.

I talked to Phil a little about it this weekend and asked for support. Now, Phil is a very supportive husband, and I know he'd do it without hesitation. For me, it's mostly feeling guilty because his diet will have to change a little bit too. The kind of foods in our home will be different. An example would be, instead of spaghetti noodles, I would love to start eating spaghetti squash with our homemade pasta sauce. It's the same concept, but I know it won't taste exactly the same. While Phil is not a picky eater now that he's an adult, {I've heard otherwise during his early childhood}, I just need to know for sure he'll let me do this.

My greatest fear is developing full-on diabetes. I really want to avoid this. The best way I can see doing that? Live a diabetic lifestyle so my insulin-intolerance doesn't get out of hand.

It's going to be hard. I may will fall off the wagon. However, with support, I know I can be successful and make this lifestyle change. I want to be in good health for years to come.

4 comments:

  1. It's SO hard to make lifestyle changes even when we know it is for the best for our health and for our family. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much J! The hardest thing for me are the days I don't have time to prep. It's almost easier to skip meals, which I know is awful to do. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. While I don't have PCOS, I have struggled with my weight for years. It is one of the hardest things to deal with. Free will so often beats self-control. Good luck! I need some too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about free will beating self-control. That is definitely something that gets the best of me. Good luck to you too!

      Delete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...