Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day and Lesson Learned

I learned yet another lesson in parenthood yesterday. You see, Jillian's first Valentine's Day didn't go as I originally imagined. I had such a cute outfit for her to wear...
{All dressed up} 

{What a funny face} 

{Love her!} 

{Her cute shoe socks}

Well, she had her 2nd month check up at 9:30 a.m. She is 9 lbs, 10 oz and 22 1/2" long. It sounds like everything is on track and Dr. V is hopeful about our next hearing screening. He said that she will develop her language and speech skills without sounding different, which is his main concern. Then of course came the shots. She got one vaccine orally, then two shots in her right leg and one shot in her left leg. She was fine until the first shot was finished and she. was. angry. Her little face, (her whole head actually), got beet red and she was screaming. My baby doesn't scream unless she is in major pain. Once the shots were done, her daddy picked her up and placed her on his shoulder. She would calm down a bit, but then stick out her bottom lip and get worked up again. I am proud of myself for not crying with her though. After the nurse finished with everything, we got her dressed again. We not only got her calm, but she even smiled at me as I put her in her infant seat before leaving the exam room. She slept all the way home and for a little while after. We thought all was well. Then...
{Calm before the storm}

Jillian woke up from her nap screaming. I mean, she could hardly catch her breath she was crying so hard.  We gave her some Tylenol, but even that wasn't enough because it's not instant pain relief. I had to do the 5 S's for calming her down. She finally calmed enough to fall back to sleep, but she still whimpered for awhile.

Phil and I had a dinner and movie date and my mom promised they would be ok. We went to a local sushi restaurant and enjoyed some delicious sushi rolls! It has almost been a full year since I've had any so it was so nice to have some raw fish :) As we drove to the theater, I called just to check in. Jillian woke up while we were eating and was even smiling. She still wasn't eating well, but she wasn't in pain any more. I felt better knowing she was slowly returning to her normal, happy self. So Phil and I enjoyed Beauty and the Beast in 3D! We shared a large Coke Icee and had a lot of fun. Once we got home, Jillian was asleep again. She pretty much slept the rest of the night and only ate about 14 ounces all day. 

Jillian woke up around 7 am and was her smiling self again. She's still a little tender on her thighs, but it's not horrible. Jillian is also eating much better today. I really wanted pictures of her with her valentine, (my mom), and a few others, but clearly her well being is more important to me.

Plus, she surprised me by being super chatty this afternoon :)

All in all, I had a great Valentine's Day. I not only got to spend it with my husband and beautiful baby girl, but also with my parents and brother. We exchanged cards, candy, and most importantly laughter :) I always have such a good time with my family. I am truly blessed!

Sadly, my parents had to fly home this afternoon and my brother went home as well. I did get some parting shots of Jillian with them :)
{G-Chaz loves her} 

{Jillian and her Jemma} 

{Her wonderful Uncle Mikey!}

4 comments:

  1. Oh poor Jilly!! I'm so not looking forward to all those shots and seeing our girl in pain either :( I'm just glad you and your honey got some alone time together and she finally got back to her happy self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to remind myself it's the right thing to do and that she will be ok in the end :) Thank you! It was good to go out.

      Delete
  2. I live the face Jillian is making while your Mom is holding her! She's got some great expression! :) I can't blame Jill for screaming, I don't like shots either! I'm also really impressed you didn't cry, because I probably would have; you're much stronger than I am! Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has definitely been practicing all her faces lately :) I did tear up, but her sad faces were so cute at the same time it was hard to stay too sad. Hope you're doing well too!

      Delete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...