Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mardi Gras and King Cake

Happy Mardi Gras!

For dinner, I decided to do something a little jazzy, yet easy. Around the time I started high school, my mom started buying this stuff called Zatarain's Jambalaya mix. She always used sausage as the meat and it was yummy! It has just enough cajun spice to satisfy me without being too overpowering. Besides, you can't live in southwest Arkansas and not have a taste for cajun food ;) Plus, it's a good meal on a budget. I even bought a King Cake for dessert.

{Simple and fun dinner for Mardi Gras}

{Nom nom nom}

I looked back and I didn't mention this last year, but Phil and I ate King Cake on Mardi Gras, (and a few several days after), and it didn't have a baby in it. Trust me, we even looked over the box just to make sure and we didn't find it anywhere. I jokingly laughed to my mom about it and asked if that was a sign that we wouldn't have babies. Of course we all know what happened later :) So for the sake of our pocketbook and my sanity, I really wanted to make sure there was a baby this time so we wouldn't have another one in real life. Luckily we saw the baby in the box and Phil hid it in the cake.

And guess who found the baby?
{There it is!} 

{At least that means I have to buy the King Cake next year :)}

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday which makes the beginning of the season of Lent. If nothing else, that means Easter is just around the corner!

I hope y'all had a great Fat Tuesday :)


Disclaimer: I was not asked by Zatarain's or any other company to talk about that mix in particular. I just really like it and highly recommend it to anyone who wants a cajun dish in an easy and affordable way.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm those both look SO good! I've never had King Cake but I saw that exact one at the store the other day but figured I didn't need any more sweets. that day. ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was super yummy :) I would describe it like a big cinnamon roll with Mardi Gras colored sprinkles. I've thought about making my own next year, but we'll see if that happens!

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...