Thursday, March 27, 2014

One Year Ago: Round Deux

Just as I can remember the day I found out I was pregnant with Jillian vividly, I can recall in great detail the day I found out I was pregnant with David. I honestly think those are the kind of days that your brain recognizes as super important, so it takes everything in, even if you don't consciously decide to do it yourself.

As I mentioned in my announcement, Phil and I had set a particular time to start trying for our second child. When we discussed it, we decided that April of 2013 would be the earliest we would consider. The only reason we chose that specific month is because I assumed I would have another ectopic pregnancy. Factoring in recovering time, I figured a good time in terms of spacing would be April. Starting in February, I started taking my temperature to get into the habit. It was not always super helpful since I have PCOS, but I figured it was a good starting point. I faithfully took my temperature every morning in February, and then again in March.

March was going to be a big month for me. Not only is my birthday at the end of the month, but I was running my first 5K that I had been training for since January 1st. I was excited about March! The 5K came and went. I decided to give myself a week off before I kept the momentum for my next 5K in Minnesota. Well, that week turned into 2 weeks. I thought to myself: Self, it's no big deal. Just start after my birthday.

My birthday was a pretty low-key, but good day. I did my bible study homework before I fell asleep next to my husband. I smiled knowing just how loved and blessed I am.

The next morning, March 27th, (my first full day as a 27 year-old), I took my temperature as normal. It was up a full degree than the day before. Thinking that was strange I took it again, and then again. In the back of my head, I knew the only reason that happens is if there's a bun in the oven. To try and convince myself that wasn't the case, I took a pregnancy test I had bought for our official trying next month. I did my thing, laid the test on our bathtub, and sat for a minute. Then, this happened.

I remember getting weak in the knees, then sitting on the floor so I would not faint. It couldn't possibly be true! My mind raced as I crawled to my bathroom drawer to look at the test instructions. Surely it was the ovulation test strip instead. No WAY was I already pregnant. We were getting on a plane in a few days. I was running a 5K within 2 weeks!

Once I confirmed it was indeed a pregnant test, and it was indeed positive, I started to cry. It was a mixture of happiness, fear, nerves, and just about everything in between.

I described how I felt until our first ultrasound in detail here. However, something I didn't mention was my obsession with taking a test every 2-3 days just to make sure I hadn't made it all up in my head. Before we left for Minnesota? I took 2.

{This is actually a comparison of the three I had taken on 3/27, 3/29, and 3/31}

The day of our third date of the year? Took one in the movie theater bathroom.

And finally, the day before our ultrasound? You guessed it... I took the final test that I owned.

{I really was worried that it was all in my head}

As you can see, we went from here

to here

to here

to today

It's been quite a year, but one that I wouldn't change at all. Even though it was a shock, I am so very happy to have this as part of our family story. In the end, I got an amazing son that I get to watch grow every day :)

{And let's just say the month of March has me on edge until we're 100% sure we're done having children. Even though I love my kids dearly, I refuse to have another December birthday!!}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...