Friday, February 17, 2012

The Saga Continues

Some days I just can't get things together. Other days, I accomplish things despite starting to cry several times. Today was a mixture of both.

I slept a little longer than I planned to today which made everything feel out of whack. I got up just in time to have a small bowl of Trix cereal and a cup of coffee before Phil had to head out to work. Jillian was a little sleepy, but alert so we played together a little. Her smile is just so irresistible :)

Then about 10 a.m., Jillian started her newest thing, being consistently fussy. Holding her doesn't help. Pacifiers are not comforting. Even her favorite thing, the swing, just doesn't cut it. Laying her on her back on the activity mat? That helps a little. I laid her down and she was content for the next hour and a half.

A fed her and it was a struggle to get her to eat 3 1/2 ounces. Ok fine, I can deal. By the time her reflux feeding adjustments are done, it's already almost 12:30. Lunch? Nope, not for this mama. There's nothing to eat and we're in desperate need of another grocery trip. Suddenly, Jillian was even fussier than before. The remedy? Back to the activity mat.

Then my mom called. We talked for a bit before Jillian started to fuss again. I picked her up, placed a pacifier in her mouth and she seemed content. Woot! As I wrapped up my phone conversation, I thought I could make it to the grocery store! I went to change Jillian's diaper and she slept through the whole thing. Almost there. Then I placed her in her bassinet so I can get changed.

Can you guess what happens next? That's right, she was wide awake as soon as her head hit the mattress. Now I'm hungry and pissed off. I called Phil to let off some steam. For whatever reason, this only worked me up some more. We got off the phone and I decided to just go anyways. I fastened Jillian to her car seat, changed clothes in record time, and started to grab my coat when...

*Ffffffrrrrrrpppppppppppppppppppppppppppp*

Yes indeed, my child just pooped. I sat next to her seat on the floor and started to tear up. I picked up my phone to call Phil when I slammed it to the ground. I wiped my face and thought "No, I'm going to go! I need out of this apartment and we need food. I will change her really fast and we'll go." I unbuckled the babe, laid her on the changing pad on the floor when I realized it's a poop explosion.

Now, she's had explosions before, but this one takes the cake. I tried to keep the soiled onesie off of her, but there was a spot I missed. Can you guess? Yes, she had poop smeared all over her back, a little on her head and arm, and she even had some behind her left knee. I started to cry again and reached for the phone. "No!" I yelled to myself. "You will clean her up and go. You really need to go!" So I wiped my tears and gave her a mini-bath with her baby wipes. I put on her emergency outfit I keep in the diaper bag and refastened her in her car seat.

As we're leaving, I noticed we had the best parking spot we can in the unassigned area. {Back story: We are assigned 1 covered spot so the other car has to go anywhere we can find. Since we live on the back side of the building, any spot that is not near the front is incredibly inconvenient without a newborn and/or groceries.} I also noticed both cars belonging to some inconsiderate people in our complex are there. {That's it's own blog post. I won't get into it now.} Worried I would lose our spot, I decided to make it the fastest grocery shopping trip I could.

I got to the store, and somehow got Jillian calm enough to fall asleep even though she was getting really hungry. I spent $117 and got enough food to get us through another 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. I got home in under an hour which allowed me to park in my same spot. {I guarantee I would have lost it if I took any longer.} I ran up the stairs with Jillian, then locked the door to the apartment. I got all 9 bags and two 12 packs of soda in one trip and threw all the bags on the floor. I ran around putting the cold and frozen foods away, washed my hands, made Jillian a bottle, and finally started her feeding at 2:45.

Phil walked into the apartment to grocery sacks half full of food scattered on the floor, Jillian's soiled outfit from earlier, a frazzled and sweaty wife trying to feed the last 2 ounces of formula to Jillian. Thank goodness he got Burger King since he missed lunch as well. I finally ate around 3:30 and he finished up Jillian's bottle.

Please do not take this post as a big complaint. If anything, I know I will be able to laugh at all this later tonight. I just pray these days are few and far between, though I'm sure they probably won't be. And honestly? Jillian makes it worth all the trouble :)
{Jillian and her G-Chaz on Monday taking an afternoon nap}

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhh Courtney, how familiar that day sounds to me. There were a couple days when I ate a bag of popcorn for lunch because that seemed like the only thing I could fix and munch on between feeding, crying and poop explosions. I was actually thinking about that just the other day. But my days go a little smoother now. Trust me, it gets better! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to know it does get better! Sometimes I just push through and then smile because I made it through another day. I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets to take care of herself sometimes :)

      Delete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...