Friday, December 4, 2009

Dreams Are Calling Like Bells In The Distance...


I'm just trying to pass the time today. Work is fairly slow and I show this Christmas meme on Holly's blog. I'll do another quick post when I get home so I can include the picture of our tree! We decorated it last night in honor of Phil's final class ever being done!
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
I usually end up using gift bags because I run out of time. However, I don't mind wrapping gifts. I just wish I was better at adding embellishments to the presents
2. Real tree or Artificial?
*sigh* It's artificial right now. I miss having a real tree so I use this to help me pretend :) Once we have real jobs... and a real house... we'll be getting a real tree again!
3. When do you put up the tree?
Usually we wait until after my dad's birthday (Dec 7th), but I told Phil we could do it early this year
4. When do you take the tree down?
The 12th day of Christmas of course! My family has always kept the tree up until Epiphany. In case you don't know what that is, Epiphany is the 12th day after Christmas and the day the Wise Men from the East finally made it to Bethlehem to see the newborn King.
5. Do you like eggnog?
Yes! When I was younger, my mom would always taste it at parties to make sure it wasn't "adult eggnog". If it wasn't, I got a cup! I also like cider, but eggnog will always be my favorite :D
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
Oh my... probably my Talking Family Dollhouse, even though I saw it before Christmas. I was the only one home when the UPS guy delivered it and of course it wasn't wrapped up yet. My poor mom was not very happy. The days leading up to Christmas, if we had any guests at the house, I would point to the large box wrapped up and say "that's my dollhouse!" lol
7. Hardest person to buy for?
Phil's dad for sure! He never even really has a wish list to give to anyone
8. Easiest person to buy for?
Phil. He loves just about anything I get him
9. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes indeed! It's not a big one, but it suits us for now :)
10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Snail mail! It's so much nicer to get those kinds of cards amongst the bills and circulars.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
I don't think I have one. Even if I didn't ask for something, it was at least something I needed
12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Elf, White Christmas, Home Alone, The Santa Clause, The Preacher's Wife and Miracle on 34th Street :)
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
It varies. Usually after my dad's birthday unless I see something early and have the money for it
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Just cheap Secret Santa gifts
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Christmas potatoes! HAHA My mom makes some delicious mashed potatoes that we call "Christmas Potatoes" but it drives her nuts since she has made it other times throughout the year =P Also, my family usually has a Christmas Eve Smorgasbord which consists of all our favorite finger/snack foods. We did this in-between my dad's 7pm and midnight Christmas Eve services when he preached at a church. We had little smokies, shrimp, Velveeta chips and dip, crab legs (for me) along with fudge, homemade sugar cookies, eggnog and cider :)
16. Lights on the tree?
White lights. Both my parents' and our trees are prelit. My parents' tree has twinkling lights (because I picked out the tree about 5 years ago), and our tree just has regular lights
17. Favorite Christmas song?
WAY too many to name. However, I can safely say that "Do You Hear What I Hear" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" always bring a smile to my face :)
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Used to stay home and possibly travel the next day. However, now I have to travel no matter which side of the family we stay with
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen and Rudolph! :D
20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Star, but we have angel ornaments that are towards the top
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
In the morning! The rule at my house was, you can look in your stocking and open the present from Santa (located underneath your stocking) no earlier than 7 am (and you can't set your alarm). Once everyone has woken up (and you can't got wake them) and looked at the stocking, then we read the Christmas story in the bible and pass out gifts.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
I don't know how started the rumor that everyone is extra nice and happy because I'm always surrounded by people who are in a hurry and very angry.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
I don't think I really have a preference...
24. Favorite memory of Christmas?
Always being with my family. We'd stay in our pajamas all day and just relax together :)
25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
My family! And maybe a pair of cowboy boots ;)
Peace to you,

"Believe" by Josh Groban

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...