Thursday, October 20, 2011

Energy Is Fading

How is it already Thursday? I've really fallen behind. It's weird because the days go by so slowly, but the evenings just fly by. I'm sure part of it is my lack of energy. I literally change into pjs and lounge in bed or the couch and drift in and out of sleep all evening. I feel like a poor friend because I keep meaning to call people and I end up falling asleep instead :( I know they understand, but I still want to talk to them because I miss them!
*****
Anyways, Phil is starting his new job today! He's getting an ID badge and a tour of the facility. It sounds like the first couple of shifts, he'll be shadowing the man that hired him. I do know that Phil is over the moon about all of it. After his orientation on Monday, he was just bursting at the seams with stuff to tell me about it. If you know Phil personally, he's not really a gusher so you know he's excited :) Hopefully the day goes well and keeps him focused on finishing his degree this semester.
*****
I have two pictures to share today. When we went up to Tulsa Saturday, we got to see my brother for a little bit before the TU game. We took some "maternity pictures", (I'll explain that one later when I get the photos this weekend), and went to Hideaway for dinner. Before we left, Mikey had something for us to take home. I don't know if I mentioned it here, so I'll start from the beginning...

I have an aunt and uncle that are infamous for having furniture that lasts forever. I'm sure part of it is because they take such good care of their belongings, but it's what they're known for in the family. Anyways, when my aunt was pregnant with their first child, (and this would be the early to mid-70's), she received a bassinet. Ever since then, everyone on my dad's side of the family has borrowed this bassinet for their newborns. In fact, both Mikey and I used it at one point! Well, at my family shower earlier this month, my aunt offered to let me borrow it. We didn't have room in our car, so Mikey volunteered to take it to his place until we could get it.

Well, we brought it home Sunday night and got it all set up. I gave it a good wipe down with some Pledge, just to be on the safe side. It has the original mattress pad that is still is great shape. My mom's secretary told us to try a king-sized pillowcase if we couldn't find a sheet to fit the mattress since it's older. We just happened to have a set of flannel sheets for our king-sized bed so I put on a pillowcase. Voila! It fit really well! It is a littler longer than the mattress is, but it's not a big deal. So now I wake up to this every morning...
I have a place for my baby to sleep. That's so crazy to me!! Even though I want her to keep cooking, she could come today and I'd have a place for her to sleep. I'm in disbelief, but in a very good way :) I also love that it's almost a family heirloom too!

The other thing I received at my shower is something special to me. Growing up, my mom had this rocking chair that I really liked. She explained to me that it was a gift from my dad so that she could "rock her babies to sleep". I thought that was just the sweetest thing in the world! When my parents asked me if there was something specific I'd like from them as a baby gift, I knew instantly what I would ask for. I told them I would like it to be similar to my mom's, but I know rocking chairs are out of style so it's not a big deal what it looks like. When we got to KC, this is what my parents presented me with...
This chair is actually almost the exact chair my mama had. Instead of the fabric on the seat and back, it was wicker on her chair. My parents told me they looked all over and couldn't find one. When they finally found this, it was at a thrift store. They told me if I didn't like it to let me know. Honestly? I love the fact that it's almost the same chair as my mom's. In fact, I don't care if they found it in a dumpster and just wiped it off. This is exactly what I wanted and it's very special to me. Phil even thinks it's super comfy so that's a bonus! Now I can rock my baby to sleep, just like my mama :)
*****
Yesterday, I woke up early, (which was not easy, let me tell you!), so I could look nice for work. Usually I can wear just about anything appropriate since I don't see customers in person. Most of the time, I wear jeans or my maternity cargo pants and a t-shirt. Well, we had a regional manager from one of the manufacturers we represent stopping by, so I needed to look my best. I curled my hair, did my make up, and dressed professionally. After all the effort I made to look nice, I saw him from about 5-10 seconds and he was on his phone at the time so we didn't even exchange pleasantries. Since this happened before my lunch break, and I knew he was not coming back by the office before his flight home, I decided I didn't want to waste my good looks. I have had a coupon for a free steak dinner at Outback for awhile and it was going to expire on the 27th. I politely begged asked Phil if we could go out and he was more than happy to oblige. My free steak was only 6 oz, but that was good enough for me. And because I saw it on a tv show recently, we had to get this...
{via}
It was yummy! And of course, I wanted a picture of the two of us once we got home :)
Love that man! And yes, we are both already in our pjs. I think my low energy level is rubbing off on him a little ;)
*****
I think I'm officially feeling some light Braxton Hicks. I'll be lying in bed or standing in the middle of an aisle in the store when I just feel this light tightening in my upper belly. It doesn't hurt per se, but I usually have to wait for it to pass. It only lasts about 15 to 30 seconds at the most and I usually only get one or two for the day. I know my body has a lot more practicing to do before the big event and I'm pretty thankful they're not painful! Tonight is our last night for birthing class and we'll be learning a few breathing techniques. Maybe those will help if the Braxton Hicks get any stronger. Couldn't hurt right?

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...