Saturday, December 17, 2011

Random Update

Being a new mama on a new parent sleeping schedule, my mind does not work in a linear fashion. Enjoy my post of randomness!

  • It feels pretty weird not taking a picture today or giving an update on bebe. However, since we're so thrilled to have Jill among us, I don't mind at all :) I will post a 1 week post-partum photo on Monday for kicks.
  • We went to the pediatrician, Dr. V, to weigh Jill to see if she was gaining weight yet. I'm very happy to say that she is back up to 6 pounds and 2 ounces! Now that we've figured out that she's just super hungry, especially at night, it's made the midnight hours much easier. There are a few times where she gives us no warning before just becoming inconsolable, but we're getting better at hurrying up. I've gotten about 6 hours of sleep total the past two nights. It doesn't sound like much, but I'm pretty happy about it.
  • My milk has come in and I'm so happy that I'm able to breastfeed! After my surgery, I wasn't sure it would happen. However, I can't really breastfeed directly. Jill is great at latching on, but after a few minutes she clamps down and it really hurts mama. No matter how many times I have her latch again, she does the same thing. Since it has caused some cracking and bleeding, I am pumping milk, then feeding her with a bottle and a little formula mixed in (which is what Dr. V recommended to get her gaining weight). I don't get that skin-to-skin time with her, but I am still able to provide for her nutritional needs in a way that does hurt so much :) However, I do need a better pump so let me know if you have any suggestions!
  • My dad left to go home to Minnesota today. It was great to have him here and I'm looking forward to our visit up there for my birthday. My mama is still here for another few days and I am so thankful. She's been amazing and so very helpful. It will be a rude awakening when she leaves, but I know we can handle it. I am truly blessed to have my family who is very supportive of one another.
  • I will say that Phil has been amazing from day one. We have both had a few moments of panic and frustration, but overall he's the best husband to me and father to Jilly :) Watching them interact is sweet and I love that he is more than happy to change diapers all day, feed her bottles when she's hungry and just hold her when he misses her.
  • Not much fits her right now just because she's so tiny. I'm glad I ordered a last minute pack of 3 newborn onesies from Carter's just in case. I really thought she'd be near 7 1/2 pounds at birth and assumed she'd grow out of newborn sizes quickly. I guess that's why you don't assume things right? ;)
  • We got some frustrating news about Phil and his defense this week. I won't go into any major details as they are being worked out. I do want it known that we are more than ready for him to finally be done with this headache and get his PhD!
  • We're watching "The Wizard of Oz" while we're attempting to put Jill down for a few hours. I always forget how long parts are, but I never forget how much I enjoy watching it. I hope Jill likes this movie too so we can watch it together someday.

Hope you've had a great Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. We were told to buy at least one preemie outfit JUST in case...and that's what Ethan ended up going home in because he was too tiny for newborn for about 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete

But I Know What It Feels Like

This post is going to be awfully vulnerable and hard for me, but I really want to finally say it out loud. I got permission for my daughter ...