Sunday, August 12, 2012

Our First Home: Moving {Part 3}

If you need to catch up, you can read {Part 1} here and {Part 2} here.

Thursday 8/2
This was it! Phil woke up about 5:30 a.m. and offered to get us breakfast. {We realized that we hadn't had dinner as we tried to drift off to sleep the night before.} After a big breakfast sandwich, (and even BIGGER coffee), we finished putting everything into boxes. We left our laundry in our hampers because we planned on doing a final load on Saturday. {Side note: This did not happen.} After Jillian woke up and had her first bottle, I took her with me to the house. Phil's mom was kind enough to come day for Thursday and Friday to watch Jillian as I unpacked. {This was AMAZING and EXTREMELY helpful. I cannot put into words how thankful I am for this!} We also had to meet the Stanley Steamer guys who were coming to clean our air ducts. Phil's mom made it and I started to unpack/clean the kitchen cabinets. The cleaning guys requested to come later in the afternoon which worked out so that the moving guys wouldn't be here at the same time. Our furniture got to the house around 10:30 or so. Close to noon, I had to get more cleaning supplies and made a run to Target. When I got back, the movers were gone and we had two pizzas for lunch, courtesy of our realtor and lender! After lunch, Phil decided to go back to the apartment to finalize our move-out. The air duct guys came and this is where things get crazy.

First, they ended up accidentally breaking the ladder to our attic. Not a big deal to me, but something to deal with later. I continued cleaning and unpacking so I wouldn't get in the way. The next thing I know, I hear a crash. Turns out, one of the workers accidentally stepped through the ceiling. Luckily, this happened in the laundry room. {Of all the rooms to do this to in my brand new home? I think this worked out ok.} The crash was the sound of the glass cover on the overhead light crashing down. They took full responsibility and told us they have a dry wall guy who would fix it. Although it was upsetting, the fact that they took ownership made me feel better. I'm also glad Phil wasn't there because he would have been MUCH angrier than I was. I mean, accidents do happen. As long as it's fixed, and that no one was hurt, that's all I care about. I did call my dad to figure out exactly what I would need to do before they left to make sure we're protected. Once he helped me, Phil and I were able to finalize everything with the cleaners.

I will say that, despite the accident, I'm very glad we had the ducts cleaned. Not only did the filters need to be changed badly, but they also found a dead hornet nest AND rat poison in one of the ducts. That's right, rat poison!

With all that excitement, the cleaners did their job, then patched up the hole before heading out. Phil and I had a potluck choir dinner to go to that night. We freshened up a little and headed out. It was nice to have a home-cooked meal and to be off our feet. I felt like I was going to just pass out at any minute because I was tired! Afterwards, we had to run to Target for cat supplies. When we got home, Jillian had apparently been a little fussy for grandma, so we relieved her from her duties and Jillian calmed down a bit. She fell asleep quickly and slept through the night! It felt so good to finally sleep in our new home :)

Friday 8/3
Phil went to work for the day and I did LOTS of unpacking in the living room area. Phil's mom ran to Subway for lunch, which was really yummy. Jillian also took a 3 hour nap! We had a locksmith come out and rekey all of our locks. It only took him 45 minutes and it was only $100 :) In the afternoon, Phil's dad came down to help a little. He ended up doing the second coat on paint in Jillian's room for us, which was really helpful! Then he met Phil at the apartment for some of the last minute things Phil forgot. He got back to the house with his items and Phil picked up the cats from the vet. {We always board them so they don't get hurt or lost in the shuffle of moving. Plus, they end up getting their well checks done at the same time.} After a nice dinner at Applebee's, we unpacked, took turns playing with Jillian, and enjoyed some family fellowship. Due to the paint fumes, Jillian slept in our bedroom, but we all slept very soundly!

Next up: Wrapping Up and Settling In...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...